Jon,

My brother is in Ft. Myers and he's all battened down......AGAIN! Be smart; be safe. We'll be thinking of you.

I gotta second the vote for the MX-700. For years I'd used the Sony model that Tony mentioned (first the 2100, then the 3000), and they are very good remotes. But I had two (and a half) complaints about them.

The size was problem one. If you have a coffee table in front of you, this wouldn't be a big problem. I didn't, and handling it was awkward, and uncomfortable.

The Sony's are touch screen models. They used to drive me nuts when I had a situation where I had to push a button on the touch screen multiple times to achieve the desired results, such as scrolling through a menu. I'd put my finger on the appropriate spot on the touch screen, look up at the TV screen to be sure where I was on the menu, and as I pushed to touch screen, my finger would drift off the appropriate spot and I'd be changing something I didn't want to change as well as NOT scrolling through the menu. This would make me crazy.

The "half" a problem is what Tony mentioned about it not being real easy to program. It's not real easy, but it's easy enough.

One more thing. The Sony only gives you a choice of 3 or 4 names for each touch screen button.

That brings me to the MX-700. Good friends Ray3, and TomTuttle, here on the forum encouraged, by example, that I check out the MX-700. I finally took the leap, and I'm happy as a clam I did. I LOVE this thing.

You can label each button along the screen exactly what you want (5 letters max length). Though not small, it fits nicely in the hand. It's a hard button remote (no touch screen buttons) so my finger no longer drifts (whew, thank heaven).

I would not call it easy to program, but it is a little easier than the Sonys. What makes it easier is that fact that you program the remote entirely on your computer, then download the configuration to the remote. This means that mistakes, and/or changes can easily be made in the software on your computer and then downloaded.

Should you lean toward the MX-700 I heartily recommend following Scott's advise by downloading the software, and the MX Editor Programming Manual, and playing around with it for awhile. I even printed the manual, all 66 pages (I printed on both sides of the paper ). Download, or run, the video tutorial also. I took me awhile to get the hang of the programming, but once I did, It gets pretty easy. And the reward is that this remote DOES IT ALL!

I got an "open box model" (not a flaw to be found) from Surf Remote Control for $190.66 shipped (using the SHIPDISC coupon code to reduce shipping costs). A new model can be found for less ($166.92 shipped) at TrendsAndGAdgets.com. Surf Remote Control is an authorized dealer, but I don't if TrendsAndGadgets is.

Should you decide to go with the MX-700 don't hesitate to holler for help if you need it. Ray, or Tom, or I will be glad to help.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton