Ah! I didn't know that about the surround speakers. Is ceiling placement acceptable for them or are they (like the front) supposed to be closer to ear level?

As for my receiver choice...
I listed the B&K 307 as my top choice, because it is. However the cost on it is prohibitive and IF I elected to purchase one it would be used (around $1k). For a new receiver I'm leaning toward the Arcom DiVA 2200 as a good compromise between cost/features/quality.

If you'll pardon the length of my post, I'll elaborate some. I'm building my first home (30days till close!) and want to have a first class HT/Stereo setup. I'm an avid music (blues mostly) fan and movie watcher. Given the size of my listening area some of the larger (physically) and more expensive speakers I've looked at are simply overkill. By acquiring quality bookshelf speakers, when the time comes that I move into a new home (with a dedicated theater room - hopefully) and I upgrade my mai room speakers, I will upgrade the system in my bedroom via the bookshelf speakers previously in the main room. Hopefully the only other upgrades would be to add dedicated amps utilizing the preamp outs of my existing AV receiver. In the mean time I want to make sure I am able to power a 5.1 system. This means I need 6 channels of power. If I elect to go with an A/V receiver that offers 6.1 or 7.1, then I'll need 7 or 8 channels of power. Take away 1 of those channels because the Hsu sub I'm looking at is self powered, but that still means I'm looking for quality 5 channels of power. Granted I'm not nearly as informed as I could be, I'm finding it difficult to get the information on the less expensive models, much less find less expensive models that offer 6 or 7 channels of amplification. Add in the fact that I've never been satisfied with the built in amplication in the common japanese AV receivers (Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, etc), I decided to try what I've always viewed as the next step up in A/V equipment.

Now that's not to say that I've totally dismissed considering other models than listed. If anyone can make some recommendations I'd be more than happy to check them out.

I guess I've just always approached buying electronics with the mindset that its permanent. I am just now retiring my AR1-a speakers and JVC receiver (circa 1973 - inherited from my parents). I'm still using the Nakamichi cassette deck, AWIA reel-to-reel, and I forget the name of the turntable.

To make a long story slightly longer, I'm hoping the equipment I purchase today will still be used 15 or 20 years from now.

Hope this helps to explain my approach.