Whipdancer,

If I can throw a receiver comment to you, you should try to save yourself a few hundred bucks and track down the Arcam AVR100. Unless you have a lot of digital sources, the 3 on the 100 are more than enough. The bass management issues you've read about were fixed in the software on later models (mine has full bass management), and the Hall DSP does a GREAT job on 2-channel, so the DPL-2 isn't that big a deal. Finally, a universal remote like the One-for-All will learn to control an Arcam, meaning you won't need to rely on the pathetic standard remote.

I can assure you that yes, the Arcam receiver is as good as advertised. If 10.2 ever becomes the standard for HT, I would still use the AVR100 for stereo music. Positively blows away the Japanese receivers.

I would also follow Alan's suggestion and consider a pair of QS surrounds. The difference is remarkable in comparison to direct-radiators (speaking from my own experience), and the sound is enveloping enought that you won't miss a surround back.