I really think that the answer for you would be the M22ti bookshelves.

Here, John Potis says a variety of things including the following:
In reply to:

Moving up into and through the midrange, the M22Ti SE continues to ascend to a level of liquidity that the M3Ti SE can’t quite match. I have to be careful not to step on the toes of the M3Ti SE; it’s a wonderful speaker in this regard. But the M22Ti SE has a more smoothly flowing nature about it in the midrange. By comparison, and only direct comparison, the M3Ti SE can sound a tiny bit grainy. The M22Ti SE does not, as should be the case for 40% more money. I also believe that the M22Ti SE's midrange performs a more successful segue into the treble, resulting in a slightly more seamless and coherent presentation.

Going up to the M22's would fix the upper midrange problems and hopefully eliminate the grain. I used to own the M2i's before I got my M60s and I know that they do not suffer from the upper midrange problem or the grainy treble either, but if you're going to be listening without a sub, most music really just will not work. If you don't like using a subwoofer for 2 chan (like me), just get the best of both worlds and never look back: M60. It combines the clarity of the M2 / M22 with great, solid, and clean bass. In fact, to my ears, the treble and mid actually sound better on the M60 than on the M2i's. Maybe it was just the fact that there was bass in addition to the mids and treble, maybe it was placebo, but I think it was actually better. It just seemed to be more calm even at lower volumes. They also dissapear a good deal more into my room than the M2's ever did. If I close my eyes and try and "locate" the M60s, I have a very hard time, as so much of the time the sound seems to extend beyond where the speakers are physically located, as a good speaker should..