2x6spd,

You must have misunderstood what I told you. I've been aware for years that hobbyists like to try replacing crossover components with "better quality" capacitors and the like, but there is no evidence from controlled listening tests that these substitutions make any audible difference or improvement.

Reports like your own that substituting components of the same value that are allegedly "better quality" introduce audible differences are purely anecdotal. You might well think that you hear an improvement because you have a psychoacoustical bias or expectation to hear it. Until you can demonstrate in a double-blind test that such "better quality" crossover components actually make any audible difference at all, or a measurable difference, a casual report of such changes has meaning only to you. For anyone interested in seriously advancing the science of speaker design and controlled listening tests, casual anecdotal reports are worthless.

By the way, I did send you a private email about the Ed Gerhard CD. Did you get it?

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)