labs are really great. they have an awesome temperment with children. i can only think of three downsides.

1- they do shed, but not bad. if it will be an inside/outside dog, expect light shedding year round, with it being a little heavier when the seasons change. we always pick up big clumps of hair in the spring as she gets rid of the winter coat. but if you vacuum regilarly, and keep a clean house, it wont be a pbob.

2- they will BARK, but no bite. i call it the 'whos there' syndrome. if there is a commotion outside the fence, or in the alley, she will give a few yelps, but not the constant yapping like german sheppards do. but, once she knows it is safe, she lets it go, and calms quickly.

3- and last.. they are diggers and chewers. you can count on during the first year of life, that they will dig multiple holes and chew multiple things. the digging will be less if you play with them alot. i think they do it cause they are bored. if you have three kids to keep him company, i reckon you wont have a prob with this. and they LOVE to chew as puppiues, even more so than most other breed of puppies. so have LOTS of jerky, and pig ear treats. chew bones, and other various tough, long lasting chewables. trust me, they are worth it. if not, the dog will chew your kids toys, shoes, table and chair legs, and just about any stick of wood or piece of paper thay can get their paws on. this WILL pass with age and maturity, but you can help by offering the dog alternatives to chew on.

mocha is now 7, and she is super great. one of the better dogs i have ever owned.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??