I have not actually read any criticism of the M40s anywhere, including on this site. The worst sentiment I have heard is that in an increasingly Home Theater obsessed world the M40s are overlooked since they are ideal music speakers but **if you already have a sub for HT** don't offer anything more than the bookshelf speakers.

For a music system IMO it's a totally different story. I still prefer full-range speakers and still have not been able to get exactly the same sound from a bookshelf+sub combination. I ended up buying M60s for music because (a) I had the money at the time, (b) I hadn't figured out where the M40s fit, but then I ended up finding the M60s were too big for the room where I wanted the music system anyways. M40s would have been perfect for me.

For a music system I would go with the M40s and never look back. My M2s sound great for jazz but I really miss the bass when playing certain rock bands. If you're going to be watching more movies then IMO a good sub is a must-have, and you'll end up with bookshelf speakers because you spent your money on the sub.

I think you would be really happy with the m40s. Only caution is that if they're anything like the other Axiom mains I own they are going to want to be a foot or so from the back wall or they can sound a bit boomy; make sure you have space. The M40s are much less deep than the M60s so this shouldn't be a problem.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8