Hi everybody,

I'm finally replacing my ancient (ca. 1985) Pioneer CS-D9000 floorstanders - they are completely shot, unlistenable (though they do provide excellent surface space). My budget is $300-$350 and I can't afford a subwoofer, so I'm looking for a good pair of stand-alone bookshelves.

I have two trusted friends in distant locations who swear by Axioms - one has the M22 and the other has the 3ti, but I figured I'd listen to what I could around here before I committed. I went to the two audio stores in my town today and listened to the following: Energy C3; Paradigm Titans; Paradigm Mini Monitors; PSB Image 2; Klipsch RB25; MA Bronze 2 (list for some of those is out of my range but there were sales &/or floor models available). (Also a used pair of Titans which I didn't like as much as the new ones I tried).

Apart from doing this by myself, which I hate because I never trust my ears, I'm getting over a headcold, and so my head's a little stuffed up to begin with. Not the best circumstances for audio shopping, but I'm getting desperate.

I brought 4 CDs with me: Mission of Burma; Antipop Consortium; Velvet Underground (third album, the mellow one); Coltrane at Birdland; which pretty much covers my listening spectrum. With these CDs, thus far I feel like the Titans did best (followed by the Klipsch), because they had kind of a warmer sound and I found myself getting more of the spectrum. (Figuring that without a subwoofer, that warmer sound might make a big difference, especially considering that my amp has a 5 band EQ).

Anyway, I guess my questions are:

1. Given what I listen to, and given my seteup (which follows), does it sound like I would benefit from the M3ti (which has been recommended by a guy at Axiom)?

2. What in general do people think of the speakers I've mentioned in relation to each other, and to the M3ti?

Thanks (in advance) for taking the time. I apologize if this is lacking or inconvenient; my head is plugged almost completely solid right now.

Oh, my setup: Pioneer SA-1270 amp (ca. 1985) w/whatever turntable came with it at the time, and an Onkyo DX-C390 6 disc-changer.

Thanks.