Now that I think about it, I guess genre is less important than "what you take away from the music". I have M2s at home rather than M3s so I can't give you exact comparisons, but here's my take on it.

If you really enjoy well engineered albums where all the instruments are clear and sharp, every note is crafted just right etc.., then you're going to love the Axioms. They have that "you can hear the pick scraping on the windings on the bass strings" kind of accuracy. I was listening to an old Devo album last night (first time on the Axioms, in fairness probably first time on any good speakers) and was really surprised how great the album sounded. I had only paid attention to one or two songs when listening on other speakers.

If you listen more for the "sound washing over you" effect then the M3s might be a bit too "small" for you and one of the other (albeit a bit muddy sounding) speakers might be better overall.

It's kinda hard to tell without giving them a good listen, unfortunately. Axiom is real good about their 30-day return policy and you're in NY so shipping back to Buffalo is probably pretty cheap if you found that you didn't like them -- but your comments about the other speakers sure sound like they're coming from an Axiom owner ;)

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8