In reply to:

I thought another explanation might be that the DVDs themselves are recorded with the modification undone, so that THX is now giving a double whammy.

Yes, the audio tracks are remastered for home use. More likely, the filter is there to remove buzz from HTIB-type dome tweeters.

In reply to:

Axiom has put their money in the upper ranges(snip...)Which I think are called "bright"?

I call mine "Charlie."

It's a personal listening choice. I've related this before, but it deserves mention again. My brother and I are both in the same field (broadcast video), and our tastes in audio mixing couldn't be further apart. For instance, I own M3s/QS4s/VP150 for the HT, he swears by his 2 channel 1980s era paper cone towers ("Bro, that's not a frequency response, that's a bell curve!") We both use Edirol (Roland) MA series powered nearfield monitors for work. MA-10Ds at the edit suite and CG stations and MA-20Ds at the audio desk. I prefer the Bass knob set at about 1 o'clock (60% of sweep) and the Treble knob at about 3 o'clock (80% of sweep) positions... maybe a bit bright, but I slouch and sit back in the chair, puts me off-axis for the tweeters. I walked in one day and he'd been at my desk, and set both knobs to nearly zero. I asked if he was mixing for AM radio.

Needless to say, whoever the producer is on the project handles the audio.

I also like to remind him that he's been diagnosed with tinnitus from years of being onstage and since I've always worn either cans or earplugs, I can still hear a pin drop and tell you the metallic makeup of it.

Bren R.