I thought I would offer a little help to Jefft. These speakers do need a break-in period. Both for the drivers to loosen up a hair and for your ear/brain system to get used to their unique colorations. Metal drivers can take a long time to get use to...it took me six months before my first pair of axioms started to sound really good. Also, very detailed metal tweeters like those used by axiom do not do rock justice. Hard edged and powerful weighty rock will always come off sounding thin, harsh, bright and a little hollow on these speakers. Axioms are best for things like jazz or very well recorded softer styles. This is the price we must pay for these very detailed tweeters. This is why companies like Paradigm make three classes of loudspeakers....Performance series, Monitor series and the Studios. The Performance series has a very rolled off soft/hybrid dome tweeter and is geared toward rock and popular recordings. The Studios are designed for jazz and classical and have very detailed metal tweeters. The monitor series tries to be both of these. If Metallica is your thing you may want to look for a soft dome tweeter speaker.
However, there is one thing(besides an EQ) that can greatly change and improve the overall sound of metal drivers...and that is a SERIOUS subwoofer that will add the foundation and weight to music. The perceived balance of a bright or lean sounding speaker can be changed by a truly great deep and tight sub . My little M2i's become AWESOME when joined to my Athena Audition AS-P400 subwoofer (a highly recommended and perfect combination btw.) This great combination cost $655 American and will KO most speakers at twice this price.

Last edited by TheTruth; 03/19/03 12:10 AM.