That's interesting to me too, as I thought of JVC as a "mid-fi" brand at their best, ranging to low-end at some of the mass-market stores. But I have seen good reviews of some of their products before. Since none of the mass-market stores stock the receiver models I was looking at, I kind of figured that they were the "higher end" of JVC. Has anyone seen any head-to-head comparisons of "higher-end" mass market receivers to the "lower-end" audiophile brands? Since it seems to me like these are basically the same price range, but you may get more "features" (like the THX-ultra for example) on the expensive mass market brands.

Also, to get THX Ultra certification, doesn't a receiver have to pass a certain set of criteria - power supply, etc. to satisfy the THX people? In other words, would the construction of a THX Ultra certified JVC receiver need to be any better than a run-of-the-mill JVC receiver, or is the certification meaningless from that standpoint?

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91