This is my understanding of the THX Ultra certification: products that are certified have to have their ability to produce sound that is a "virtual home version of cinema reprodcution". By prodcuing equipment that duplicates large scale cinema sound in your much smaller (for most people anyway) rooms. These THX branding can be applied to amps, speakers, cables (yes it is true...), and most pieces in HT. For receivers and loudspeakers, the "THX Select" certification is for components that are certified to perform in a mid-sized home theater environment of up to 3,000 cubic feet. The volume of a room, expressed in cubic feet, is computed by multiplying the length by the width by the height of the room. (For example, a room that is 18 feet wide by 14 feet wide by 9 feet high, has a volume of 18 x 14 x 9 = 2,268 cubic feet.) The more stringent "THX Ultra" certification (which is equivalent to the original, plain "THX" certification) is given to components that meet the THX performance standards for larger (than 3,000 cubic feet) home theater environments.

Theoretically, if you have a home theater environment that is 3,000 cubic feet or less, "THX Select" receivers and speakers should deliver about the same presentation standards as the higher-rated "THX Ultra" components. For other components such as preamplifiers, power amplifiers, DVD players, the certification is just known as "THX Ultra" (or equivalently just "THX") certification. There are no "THX Select" certification for these types of components.

Interms of designs, these pieces seemingly would be better built than other pieces in the same lineup. The meaning of "Audiophile" is very subjective, and you and I might differ as to where that quality started and which manufacturers are included. Let me say this, high end manufacturers do not typically offer "Receivers". Midfi manufacturers do offer them, and low fi make a substantial number of them. You are also correct that manufacturers may offer different levels of there product at diffferent outlets. Pioneer, Sony and others sell their "upscale" model in different stores in some cases. But this is no different than Honda and Acura. They typically cater to differing demographics.

While I mentioned that "audiophile - hifi" manufacturers do not offer receivers, they can and do offer certified THX pieces. Some of the worlds best offer processors, amps, speakers, etc wih the THX certification ( B&K, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Bryston, Meridian) to name a few.

JVC does not belong in that list on any level.

Regards,

BBIBH