Welcome to the wonderful hobby of audio! I think you hit on a very important point when you said you " ...it was all I knew". Most people should go to a true hifi dealer, and listen. Don't take the dealers word that this sounds good, listen - if you think it sounds good...it does! Some people are so intimidated by a dealer exclaming hifi sound, that they are afraid to say they don't like it. They either buy something they don't like (hating themselves and the dealer), or they leave with a bad impression.

The companies you have found receivers for are midfi companies. There products out perform the JVC's, etc at almost every point - except for radical AV/HT features. In my opinion, these companies are aiming to make a presence in the respective markets. In terms of product quality, many principles used in the separates they offer would undoubtedly make it into these products. Would they be inferior to separates they offer? Probably yes, and only because the separates may be aimed at the music market, and they need to build AV/HT features. As we all know, these are different markets in terms of what the consumer wants, needs and will spend money on. As an aside, some of the better pieces are processors, connected to amps. This is similar to theather setups. One of the most interesting sites I ever saw was the inside of an IMAX setup. If you get an opportunity, ask for a tour! I was working on some hi tech designs inside an IMAX, and loved the sound gear!

You love the B&K? I rather like that as well. Another user hear has an older one, but he has not said much about the quality(we have been exchanging private messages about things). There is another piece that excites me, the SimAudio Attraction. Check THAT monster out! By the way, SimAudio makes some of the best amplifiers I have ever had the privilege of working/listening to.

The key concept to remember is that audio is not a goal. It is a journey. As soon as you get content with a system, chances are you will find another piece that you like better. This can be on purpose, or by accident.

You ask about Denon and Onkyo and in the same thought mention "higher end". The term higher end would be subjective. There are companies slightly higher end, or vastly higher end. I will make this distinction - lowfi (mass market-to be polite) midfi(good quality) hifi(exceptional sounding equipment). Denon and Onkyo are squarely in the lowfi realm, with some pieces approaching midfi. Do not take that as a condemnation of the products, as they are aimed at this market, and designed EXACTLY as they need to be. They do however, have no place in a hifi system - midfi maybe, but not likely.

Regards,

BBIBH