Thanks HD.

Two more manuals digested……I’m about sick of reading manuals BTW. I picked a bad time to quit drinking booze. I should have got all this figured out first cuzz I could really use a stiff drink about now. The 3806 is about the same as the 4306. It has multi X-over points for each channel too. That’s good news. I’ve found that the 80’s blend a little better with a lower X-over than the rest of the speakers. I’d really hate to loose that feature. I think I’ve become a complete audio geek…..

The 4306 has USB, Ethernet / PC interface, and I-pod interface of some sort that the 3806 doesn’t. I couldn’t care less about all that crap. My HT is for movies, not ripped music or looking at pictures off a memory stick. The only real drawback is the 3806 only has two HDMI inputs verses the 4306 which has 3 HDMI inputs. I’d prefer three for my three HDMI sources. If my friggin VP-50 worked right I could run all that into it and have one HDMI input into the receiver…..but as my luck with electronics would have it, the VP has intermittent audio drop outs so I need to run everything through the receiver first. Suppose I better figure out if that third port is worth $700. I’m thinking not. I’d rather spend that on a case of Cakebread’s Cab..

John,

User reports that I’ve been reading are not all that great with the Onkyo getting along with HDMI. Multi channel 96/24 PCM from the HD / BR players in particular. There really aren’t that many that do from what I’ve been able to read, so that’s not necessarily a bad thing to say about them. So far about the only AVR’s that seam to be doing well with this are the new Denons and the RX 1700 / 2700. The new Marantz AVR’s do fairly well with the PCM 5.1 96/24 streams, but they will not do any PLIIx or other post 6/7 channel processing. The Denons apparently will and the Yamaha’s will also, but they down mix it to 48/24 before post processing, which pretty much defeats the whole benefit of 96/24 in the first place.

I really have become an audio geek.