sorry to hear several people are having problems.

I watched spider man 3 last night (standard def) with the a2 hooked up via hdmi and it worked great. picture was excellent and no problems whatsoever.

I rented children of men hd dvd/dvd combo disk from blockbuster (we have one store in our state which offers hd dvd's)

I popped in the movie on the standard dvd side and watched the opening scene. watched the same scene on standard dvd in both the a2 and my 360.
A difference between the standard def version comming from the a2 and the 360 was harder to distinguish then it was with the transformers dvd. I checked my display settings and apparently the 360 only upconverts to 480p through component cables...
That may be why I was able to spot a difference between the 360 and the a2 last night, not sure why it was harder to tell a difference with the opening scene of this movie.

I then popped the movie in on the hd dvd side into the a2 and compared the same scene to the upconverted a2 version. The hd-dvd version was MUCH clearer and crisper. From 11 or 12 feet away on my 50" 720p/1080i sony lcd rp you could notice a difference easily. looking at the screen closer (a few feet) you could see why. Looking at an old ladies face close up on the standard def version her face was grainy and 'blocky'. Her face was very detailed and 'smooth' on the hd version.

I am happy with the purchase. I did have a little trouble updating the firmware (took about 30 minutes of trial and error because I could not get the a2 to network to my router.. ended up using the iso method).

Mojo, There is a number inside the box you can call and Toshiba will mail you the newest firmware version on cd. So for anyone who has problems networking or burning an iso can use this method. I wouldn't call having to wait on a cd in the mail or plugging in an ethernet cable 'all kinds of contortions'. It would be nice if the firmware was up to date, but did not find the update process extremely difficult.

sir quack, can you provide a link to the avs discussion?

Last edited by terzaghi; 11/03/07 11:56 PM.

-David