Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Or a reality TV episode.

Tom, Get back in your room. This time I'm taking away your remote! \:\)

The way I interpret the LFE and LFE + Main sub setting is:

Set the sub setting to LFE if you want bass below the crossover point from all speakers set to β€œsmall” to go to the sub. All speakers that have been set to large will still be sent a full range signal. No bass from the channels/speakers set to large will be directed to the sub.

Set the sub setting to LFE + Main if you want all bass below the crossover point from all speakers set to β€œsmall” to go to the sub AND bass from the speakers set to β€œlarge” to go to the sub as well. What I do not understand is at what crossover point will this Denon termed β€œlow bass” is, and just how much bass will be added to the sub in addition to the full range signal still being sent to the speakers that are set to β€œlarge”.

I have tried both with a 5.1 audio source (Avia test disk) and could not detect a difference by ear or by indication on my SPL meter. Because I find this LFE + Main setting confusing, and also contradictory, I have elected to leave my sub setting at LFE. I have not testing this with a two channel CD and suspect that if there is a difference between these two settings, it will be with two channel that does not have a dedicated LFE channel.