Those are useful stats Eric. The spec say these speakers have a sensitivity of 87db at 1 metre which is my listening distance. With that robust amp we will cleanly hear instantaneous 104db peaks without clipping. That amp was likely the largest cost component and what really sold me on placing an order.

One beef I've always had with ordinary computer speakers was how easily their puny power supplies clipped transients. Those artifacts just aren't happening with the Audiobytes. If we keep the dial so we get 87db at 1m (90db at .5m) we have another 17db of headroom before clipping which should be enough to cleanly reproduce the peaks on most recordings.

On this issue of dynamic reproduction, a friend of mine reminded me that one of my favourite acoustic blues recordings "The Folk Singer" done in 1963 by Muddy Waters sounds so good because its range is in the 20db zone. The recording has several quiet passages where Muddy Waters voice goes from a soft whisper to a loud wail. When I hear these tunes on most receivers I turn the volume down. Not so with the Audiobytes.

If you enjoy this genre then this recording is a must. The really neat thing is that you can usually find it for $8 at Best Buy or Future Shop.:).

John