Image retention, aka burn in on plasma is still possible, but not unless you are really careless with the set. I would say set the pic mode to stretch for 4:3 programming just to be safe.

It also seems that watching varied programming initially and in full screen can help prevent burn in, as will properly calibrating you set and turning down the brightness.

My overall impressions are Pioneer is the best plasma, but I would never pay the large premium for the piano black finish and any slightly better pic than the Panasonics.

As for RPTV, yes Sony is discontinuing the SXRD as they had problems with it. I consider the XBR series of SXRD to be better than the Grand Wega (A2000, A2020, A3000, etc.)

JVC had been doing LCOS based RPTV longer than Sony and that is what I chose 1.5 years ago. I heard feedback from an ISF calibrator at the time that its videoprocessor was better than the A2000 sony and on par with the XBR's...I'm extremely pleased with the set and have had no issues.

My reccomendation is for plasma the Panny is a great set and better value than Pioneer, but if $$ is no object go with the Pioneer.

For RPTV, JVC isnt sexy and doesnt market their products well, but they have more experience with LCOS and their HDILA sets the past 3 years seem to be very reliable and the performance is great.

I compared the Panny plasma's side by side with the JVC HDILA and Sony XBR and really couldnt say one picture was significantly better than the other.