I have not seen that article, but it sounds interesting. What video sources did they use? Blu Ray? HDTV source?? Any SD programming??

If I understand correctly you are saying that the 768 pioneer and the 1080 Panasonic compare at 8 ft in the review and most atttribute that to contrast ratio of the Pioneer. On the other hand you are going to get a 768 Panasonic and view it primarily from 8 ft as opposed to the 1080 Panasonic which has a different contrast ratio than the pioneer.

Seems like you have done some good research. If you trust the word of the home theatre reviewers in that magazine, then contratulations on your impending purchase and let us know what your thoughts are when you get it setup.

BTW, dont worry too much about not being able to see a 1080i signal in store(1080p would be from a Blu Ray or HDDVD). The TV's have a fixed number of pixels and they always display in their native resolution. Example, if you input 720P into a 1080P set, the videoprocessor just upconverts to 1080P. Likewise if you see a set that says accepts 720P, 1080i, that means its a 720p set and it will scale down 1080i signals and show it 720p.

Last edited by ctown; 01/25/08 08:55 PM.