Originally Posted By: ratpack

I have 2 Sony SXRDs. One is a 60" and the other is about 32."

SXRD is (silicone xrystal reflective display) a projection technology of Sony that is/was used for rear projection TV and front projectors. Its a variation of LCOS(liquid crystal on silicone) The smallest SXRD was offered in 50"

If you have a 32" Sony it is probably a flat panel LCD, not rear projection. You probably mean its a 32" XBR.

The OP has stated he is a gamer, so direct view LCD is probably not his best bet unless its a newer unit with faster response time similar to that of plasma or a projection(LCD, DLP or LCOS). Also, depending on the system he is using, it may have 1080P output, so why not go with what will be the new standard in displays in the very near future.

Generally speaking, if you cant control the lighting in your room and its subject to lots of light, LCD or Projection are what you want. Within those 2 classes, the projection is generally better for fast moving scenes.

If you can control the lighting then you can go with anything, plasma, LCD or projection. Image retention will be more of a factor on plasma, than LCD or RPTV, but as Alan Loftt has mentioned, plasma pictures seem to have a nicer punch to the display.

My suggestion is if playing 4:3 for extended periods of time is an issue without changing the programming to full screen, or switching to a commercial to prevent image retention of the black bars, then go with RPTV. Yes, get a Sony XBR SXRD while they are still making them this year. The Grand Wega's (a2000 series) use Sony's DRC version 1 while the XBR uses version 2.5, so you will get a softer pic, especially with SD in 4:3. Or if DLP appeals to you, the Samsungs are beautiful. If the geometry of the new JVC's dont work, then pass on them.

I love the pic of plasma, but it sounds like the fear of the wife watching too much 4:3 will cause too much anxiety.

good luck with your decision.