HomeDad, did you end up buying the Pioneer 6010FD? I've had mine since August when it was first released, and it is fantastic. Hi-def DVD and cable look amazing. We have it mounted in our family room, and it always draws oohs and aahs.

As to the original question, I also own the Sony KDS-55A3000 SXRD set which we have in our basement. This is also an excellent TV, but I do frankly prefer the Pioneer plasma, which I should considering the price difference (about $3,200 in my case).

The Pioneer has a beautiful picture, very rich 3-dimensional image, deep black levels, amazing viewing angles both horizontal and vertical, and can obviously be mounted (which we did and it looks great--and keeps it out of reach of the kids).

The Sony has a beautiful picture also, but suffers a bit from silk screen effect, obviously loses out to the plasma as far as viewing angles are concerned, obviously can't be mounted, etc. But for our purposes in the basement, getting a 55" 1080p HDTV for about $1,400 was too good to pass up.

In the end, the Sony SXRDs really provide a big bang for the buck, but the Pioneer plasmas are in another league imho.