what Fred said:

Originally Posted By: fredk

So, what is it you like better about the sound of your fathers system and on what program material?

Its hard for us to help you 'fix' your sound if we don't know what you don't like.

Originally Posted By: aspicer1

ok sounds right. I set up my fathers room and my room. Now he has the QS8 and the EP350 versus my QS4 and EP175. we both have the W150 and W22. Perhaps I just did a better job setting up the sound settings on the yamaha and the speaker differences are that much better.......

First off if you haven’t calibrated both your systems either with a SPL meter or the receivers test tones then try that. If both systems aren’t calibrated it could just be that by luck you got his system closer to what you like than yours.

If both systems still sound different when they are calibrated and if it’s not too much trouble you could try your Denon in his setup or his Yamaha in yours and see if they sound the same. Try to calibrate them the same if possible. If there’s little difference then you know it’s not the receivers causing it.

Then if possible bring his QS and EP to your place or take yours to his and try them out. If they sound mostly the same in the same room then you know it’s not the speakers causing it. Which pretty much narrows it down to room and speaker placement within the room.

My guess is that you both have different speakers in different rooms with yours not placed and/or calibrated as well as his which are all combining to make a noticeable difference.

I know this all sounds like a pain but by doing all this you will gain a better apreciation of what makes things sound better or worse for you allowing you to make a more informed decision

Originally Posted By: Dr.House

Simple room treatments and a SPL meter is all I will ever need! Its a shame nowadays that for a lot people this is an after thought.

Audyssey was a big selling point for my first Denon and so far it turned out to be the biggest waste of time I’ve had. Now I only use the SPL meter and a tape measurer because I prefer the results and it’s faster than even the auto setup. Of course now I want to probably waste more time with Trinnov if someone can ever really get it to market. \:\(

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1