Chess,

Thanks for the detailed elucidation of the complexities of rooms and electronic measurement and correction of room problems.

Dewd:

Of course I understand how Audyssey operates. I've known Tom Holman for 20 years or more. He's done excellent work over the years and while I haven't always agreed with some of his theories (particularly the use of dipole surrounds in modern surround systems) I admire his research and dedication to improving sound reproduction both in cinemas and in the home. On the other hand, he does have a financial interest in the royalties from Audyssey so I naturally question some of the claims.

I don't "hate" Audyssey or similar systems. By all means use it for initial setup, even with some its acknowledged erratic behavior with subwoofers. I just don't want enthusiasts thinking that Audyssey is some sort of electronic panacea that will work magic in any home theater setup.

I'd prefer everyone do a careful manual setup using an SPL meter and then listen, evaluating what they are hearing. Look at the furnishings and reflective surfaces. Elaborate room treatments are not necessary in most domestic rooms. Simple additions such as draperies, a rug or two, and adjusting speaker or subwoofer placement may dramatically improve sound quality.

Then try out Audyssey if you want to tinker. Switch it on and off, and if it helps correct some bass humps, great, use it.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)