Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Science really came about, exploding in the 16th and 17th century out of a theistic background. Many philosophers of science have studied this, but I forget what it's called (maybe Grunt can help me out). So in a sense, yes, science is a religion (Edit-or this is at least one strong current theory). Saying this, I favor science.

Being an atheist and anti-theist, I wholeheartedly agree with everything else you said, Luke. I'm also an anarchist (following the teachings of Bakunin), and would extend morality to controlling all of life, therefore no laws etc. There isn't one law that stops me from doing something because I may face jurisprudence or end up in jail. But rather my morality guides me through life, choosing not to do something because I've been taught, formulated on my own, or experience that it or something is morally corrupt.

Cam for the record I am also an atheist and have been for as long I I've know what it means, but not an anti-theist as I can not prove god(s) don't exist so I'm not comfortable pushing IMO un-provable beliefs on others. I was even invited to leave vacation bible school after a couple of days when I was about 6 because I kept arguing with the teachers about creation because it didn't fit the "science." I’m sure at least a couple of people reading this have thought that I am a religious person and taken my statements in that context so I’ll clear that up right now.

I do however, take exception to those who trash religion based on a selective reading of history and then turn around and give secular belief systems a pass with the same selectivity. Though young, secular belief systems have slaughtered more of their own people both in numbers and as a percentage of population than any religion I know of. They have also been the direct or indirect causes of the greatest loss of life in warfare. Sadly secularist are so focused on the evils of religion they haven't seen when the nature of their own belief systems are turning on them.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1