Maybe, but others with dedicated theaters are messing around with side surrounds actually being slightly in front of the primary listening area instead of Dolby's recommendation of no further forward than 90 degrees to the side. A lot of people are finding that it actually creates a more enveloping sound field. A number of people are also finding that small "arrays" of direct radiating rear surrounds are better, but 1) who wants to buy all of that, 2) how much better is it?

I think that Dolby, DTS, and even THX models are still somewhat limited in that for more and more people, their standard layout models are designed for "smaller" rooms than what people have and with more of those people going with more than 1 row of seats, their models are no longer valid.

Still good guidelines, but with 2 rows of seats, getting the surround sound up to the front row is a challenge. Not sure that direct radiating would be better, but it would be worth trying had I thought of it in the past. Of course, then I would be potentially compromising the rear row of seats, but the heck with that. *I* sit in the front. smile

Farewell - June 4, 2020