Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
Thanks for the feedback on the soundstage depth question. It seems you are taking more of a studio/HT approach to your treatment situation. Be careful with thinking purely LE/DE. Seems like you are being pretty experimental and staging your process. No doubt you will get exactly what you want in the end.

I didn't actually plan to do anything with treatments other than covering the first reflection points, getting some absorption on the right to help compensate for the off-center positioning, and getting some bass trapping in place.

Generally, a deep front to back soundstage is desired for 2ch setups. The speakers tend to "dissapear" more I find. I have also found that absorbtion directly behind the listening position pushed vocals back to the speaker plane from forward as well.

Agree on wanting the deep soundstage. Makes sense that would help the speakers to disappear, hadn't thought about "why it happens" before.

Interesting point about absorption behind the listener compressing the soundstage. I have often put a small amount of absorption on the back wall since without it I had no imaging at all, but sounds like it's easy to go too far with it as well.

At the moment I don't have any front or back wall treatments other than that one panel in the front window that I added because of a harsh/bright sound off to the left. I don't really have a back wall, just lots of open space.

I have found slatted blinds do a good job of breaking up glass reflections if curtains arent your thing. You can play with the tilt. A somewhat "variable" high frequency diffuser. Definitely better than glass in any case. smile

Slatted blinds sound like a good thing to try next. I definitely don't like curtains and am getting the impression that too much absorption on the front wall is not good anyways. What I really need is the old broken set of slatted blinds I threw away a lot of years back, where the cords had rotted out and each blind was at a different angle smile

Last edited by bridgman; 09/25/14 09:03 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8