Mark,

Ya gotta download the MX Editor Software, and the MX Editor Programming Manual and fool with the software a bit. You'll get the best idea of what the remote can do by doing that.

In reply to:

My old Sony remote would not be able to recognize 4 different disk players, are there any limits such as this with the MX-700?

I'm not sure what you mean by "recognize," but the MX-700 can certainly control 4 different disk players. The "Main" screen has 2 pages. All 10 hard buttons along the screen, are fully programmable, and can be labeled anything you want, up to 5 characters. So, 2 pages with 10 buttons for each page, means you can control up to 20 different devices. You can have DVD-1, DVD-2, DVD-3, etc. Or you can label them "Sony1,"Sony2," etc. Whatever you want.

When you press your DVD-1 button, the screen changes from the "Main" screen to one titled "DVD-1." And, that screen has up to 4 pages, 10 buttons per page. That's 40 commands, PLUS all the other hard buttons on the remote, to control one device.

I have page one of my "Main" page set up to control specific tasks - "TV" (for just watching the news), "TV+
RC" (for watching TV with the sound coming from my receiver), "Mov-1" (for watching a DVD on my Bravo); etc. My "Main" page two is set up to control each individual component - cable box, TV, Bravo D2 DVD player, CD player, VCR, lights, and the all important "Switch" function.

When I push the Mov-1 button, the screen is switched from "Main" to one titled "Mov-1." Then I push the "ON" button, that one button turns on my DVD player and opens the tray; turns on my receiver and switches it's input to "DVD"; turns on my HDTV and pauses for 25 seconds while the lamp warms up and turns on, then switches the input from S-Video 1 to the DVI input, and turns the TV volume down to "0." All I have to do now is put the DVD in the tray and close the tray. Viola! Movie!

If I finish my movie, and want to watch TV, I hit the "Main" button which takes me back to the "Main" screen, hit the "Page" button, which takes me to Page 2 of the "Main" screen, then hit "Switch" which takes me to the "Switch" screen where I have macros programmed to switch me from one function to another. It takes just 2 seconds to hit those 3 buttons, bing bang boom. Then I press the "RetTV" (Return to TV) button, and that one button closes the DVD tray; turns off the DVD player; turns on the cable box; switches inputs on my receiver and shuts it off; turns up the TV volume and switches the TV input from "DVI" to "S-Video 1". Viola! TV!

The MX-700 has the ability to program a time delay into a macro, but the longest delay you can program is 60 seconds. So, I don't think you can use it for a sleep timer.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton