Mark, it's a tough question. I didn't get the extended warranty. But, for the peace of mind it would bring, it might be a good idea. Ascertain if the extended warranty covers the lamp. In the past, they've had problems with lamps burning out much earlier than they're supposed to. I believe that problem was solved long before the HLP models came out. I know I've had no lamp problems.

If the extended warranty DOESN'T cover the lamp, or if you chose NOT to get the extended warranty. You might look into purchasing a spare lamp, just so you have one on hand. They are expensive ($241), and once you get used to your Sammy, you won't want to have a bulb go out on you and be TVless while you order and wait for a replacement to be shipped to you.

Should you decide to do this, be sure you get the correct lamp. There should be a little sticker, with the correct lamp number, on the outside of the TV, on the door where you change the lamp. Changing a lamp is fairly easy, just be gentle and don't force anything. There will be instructions on how to do it in the manual.

Oh! Once the lamp comes on, it takes another 25 seconds or so for it to get up to it's normal brightness. It's one of the disadvantages of the DLP sets.

You also might look into having your Sammy ISF calibrated. It can make a BIG difference in how your set looks. There happens to be a guy, out of Maine, who just did my set, and serves all of New England with no travel fees, which I had to pay. He's Gregg Loewen of Lion AV He really knows his stuff. Unfortunately, this is another expensive proposition ($400). (Is there anything INEXPENSIVE about this hobby? Not that I know of.) Do a Google search on "ISF Calibration" and you'll find more information that will help you decide if you want to do it or not.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton