Thought I could stay away. . .as do many of us but I just can't.

In reply to

Now, I don't think that a $2600 speaker cable makes too much sense for somebody who buys a $900 pair of Axioms (including me), but I think it does for somebody who buys some 10k speakers

$10K speakers. . .$2600 cables. Come on. Open the speakers up and look inside at the cables. . . they didn't use $2600 cables inside. So if the cables really were worth that much, which in my humble opinion they are not, you are still running into the problem of the internal wiring. And what about the connects on the receiver and the speaker coils themselves, what about the wires in the receiver/amplifier. They are not $2600 wires. And why would somebody spend one quarter of the amount on speaker wires than they did on speakers. ANYBODY would agree that you could make far better sound quality improvements with $2600 investing the money on things that significantly improve the sound like speakers and amplifiers.

There are differences in the quality of speaker wires and interconnects. I remember how pissed I was when I finally broke down and spent some extra dough on some fancy interconnects. Only to find that one of them would only work intermittently. I had to jiggle the wire to get sound to come out. Not the receiver .. the expensive cable. Absolutely ridiculous. If you can't connect two wires to a plug and have a solid connection you have NO business making cables.

All this to say that a clean connection that works is the most important feature of a cable.

In the end, dollar for dollar, it is always going to be wiser to invest the money in better speakers and amplification than on interconnects. I believe this point to be unarguable. Cables do not make sound they just deliver the message. Thus they cannot improve sound only degrade it. Whether they degrade it a tiny bit or a teansy tiny bit just doesn't matter to me.