True. There are also the other contentious little issues like break-in (which I believe it but which still seems to be worthy of a good tarring and feathering whenever I mention it ).

I just find that in my own house there is such a huge difference in how all my speakers sound depending on the room. Up in the master bedroom (good dimensions, no openings other than conventional doors) the bass is great even with M3s and the imaging is astounding. Down in the basement (double-square dimensions, big openings for bar and hallways) the imaging is lackluster and the bass response is horrible even with the big honkin' SVS subwoofer.

If I wasn't moving to a new house soon I would do something about the basement acoustics but I have sworn off fiddling with audio systems until I get this house cleaned up and listed for sale.

Back to the original post :

One thing worth mentioning... I do find the M60s sound relatively crappy with a lot of the modern radio stations which heavily compress the audio to sound good on car radios. It was enough of a problem to really bother me until I found that *some* late night music broadcasts run with much less compression because the target audience is at home with good speakers or headphones... THOSE programs sound fantastic on the Axioms so I stopped worrying.

I would be careful with the MP3s -- I'm not set up to play them through the HT system but they might not be good for evaluating the speakers.

Last edited by bridgman; 09/11/05 05:00 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8