I have been around a while but have never really had a nice stereo system other than in 1974 when my new KLH complete system arrived for $300.00. I am learning new terms and am just beginning to be able to relate within my mid fi brain.

We now have an Onkyo 6.1 HTIB with an HT-R510 receiver, DVD/CD player purchased from Fryes about 3 years ago.

My wife and I find we just don't watch movies, other than a rare pay per view but we both find surround, irritating and not worth the trouble.

We have also learned that the speakers that came with the HTIB system are also not worth the trouble. So we have upgradeed the mains to M22's and have kept the receiver and the sub with the rest of the speakers probably never to be used again.

We are not audiophiles but I can hear some pretty fine detail, according to an audio freak friend, so as you might have guessed the Subby is a mess, although it fills in pretty nicely, sometimes it will just moan a low tone when it doesn't know what to do.

We don't listen loud and the M22's fill our 15 x 20 x 8 ft/ room just fine (even though that room has been noted as too large for the 22's). The Receiver and speakers are along the 15 ft. wall, we have tile floors with a large throw rug, lots of furniture and a 'good sounding' room according to my buddy.

Also low budget as we value our music but not more than other necesseties.

So first challenge is a new subby and I know that topic doesn't belong in a topic title but would like your feedback on 3 models, remembering we do not listen loud and the system is 100% music.

HSU SFT-1
AV123 X sub
Outlaw LFM -2

Again not looking for earth shake just a musical sub to fill in below the M22's.

The next challenge is a receiver and I found 2 that seem just like what the doctor ordered for our tastes.

The Outlaw RR2150 looks especially nice because it looks SO much like what I grew up with and yeah yeah I know that is NOT the way to spec a receiver but it seems to have the features as well.

Most notably to me is the Sub-Out that many cheaper receivers do not have and the ability to select bass frequencies. It's pretty bare bones but REALLY atrractive to me. Also it look upgradeable in case we change our minds about surround and it wo'nt be a throw away.

The down side is it doesn't apprear to have any AV in's and outs to run the television or the stray DVD through the receiver (hope I used the right terms) and a correction would be very helpful.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

The next receiver is the Rotel RX-1052. looks like it has a bunch of video ins and outs but no bass management from the receiver. I don't really know if that's good or bad but the simple set-up I have here is nice but not tunable with the bass.

http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rx1052.htm

So I would ideally like a nicely featured inexpensive receiver with bass management and AV in's and outs and a great cheap sub. (Yeah I know who wouldn't) but I really appreciate anyone will to indulge this new poster with a few experieneces and suggestions

EDIT tried to get all the specs but forgot - we listen to mostly smooth jazz, Dave Koz, Basia, Peter White.

Thank You
Larry

Last edited by LHawes; 04/10/06 12:56 AM.