Re: Axiom A1400-8, paired with Integra DTC-9.8 (replacing Onkyo TX-SR604)

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I don't have the hard data that you all want, so hopefully professional reviews will start appearing soon and take the heat off of me.

However, further impressions...

I've been listening to a wide range of material, including a lot of material that I was somewhat dissatisfied with before. I found that the Tegan and Sara DVD, "It's Not Fun. Don't Do It!" which always struck me as harsh and lean was actually listenable. It still sounds bad next to other way better recordings, but I could actually watch it this time.

I also remembered harshness in The Incredibles, in one of the scenes I often use to impress myself with my system, the one where Dash is racing away from the bad guys in the flying discs. There was always a harsh edge to certain sound effects in that scene, and I'm happy to report that I didn't encounter that this time. It always sounded great, but I'm satisfied that it now sounds better.

I'm fairly certain I was running into the limitations of the receiver. I can now turn the volume up louder, and I don't get the sense that the sound is being distorted, or that the dynamic range is being compressed. It really helps out on concert DVDs. As I mentioned in the other thread, I was really happy with the change in the Ben Folds and WASO Live in Perth DVD, and it also seemed to help the Tori Amos: Welcome to Sunny Florida DVD that I already adored the audio on. I could get it louder, and it still sounded clean. I'm really happy with how "there" I feel.

That being said, there was also material that I couldn't really tell a difference on. I was already happy with how it sounded, and I really can't say if it's better or not.

Generally, most material sounded smoother and fuller.

Was it worth $4600 to upgrade to the new components? I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, but for me, I'm okay with it. I can definitely see the argument for being more concerned with the speakers themselves. There's so much more potential for improvement in that part of the equation, and chances are that I didn't need more than the $500 Emotiva LPA-1 (and a new receiver with pre outs) to achieve the same results, but I wanted to get the biggest multichannel amp I could, considering my future dedicated home theater plans. When I found out the preorder discount was going to amount to $850, I had to jump on it.

I made a decidedly huge leap in terms of component cost for a relatively modest improvement. I love the difference, but I'm definitely not going to urge anyone to do the same. I really am curious as to how different I'd think the jump was from a better receiver. The Onkyo I upgraded from was pretty cheap, with a power rating you have to dig to find. I think it was 90 watts per channel. I'd be interested in hearing a receiver that's rated at 130 or 140 watts per channel, advertised as driving 4-ohm loads. The only other receivers I have experience with topped out at 110 watts per channel.

Anyway, I'm going to listen to some more stuff.