Quote:

I believe it's an amazing amp for those that need the power. I'm not surprised by the subtle differences you're reporting though. I would be very curious to know how you feel about it when it's turned up LOUD. Your room may affect the clarity but then again, maybe not. I'd like to know what your bass sounds like out of your 80s (with the 600 off) at different volume levels compared to before.

I just took delivery of my A1400-8 last night, and have only had about an hour with it thus far. I can't get any output from Channel #2 but I e-mailed Brent at Axiom on that issue. I'm going to call when I get home from work.

First impression is that build quality is great; much better than my Rotel RSX-1057 which I feel is build like a tank for a piece in its price range.

I did have a chance to really crank my M80s at full range at a steady 105db measured at the listening area. I listened to some hard rock music (AC/DC "Back In Black" 2003 remaster). The bass was amazingly tight and full; musical and not bloated in any way. When switching to PLII Music I noticed a major difference in bass response, favoring the M80s at full range vs. being crossed over with my EP600 with an 80hz crossover point. I believe I have my EP600 crossover set at just above 80hz, so I may bypass it altogether to see if just using the crossover in my receiver makes a difference.

Regardless, the A1400-8 drove my M80s cleanly at very high levels. Bass response was consistent at moderate listening levels as well. Mids and highs did start to blare above 100db, but I've done nothing to acoustically treat my listening area thus far so that could be an issue.

Again, I haven't had a lot of time with the amp, but aside from channel #2 I'm excited so far. I really hope I don't have to send this thing back, as am already spoiled

A: Epic 80 * 600 / Integra DTC-9.8 / A1400-8
V: Samsung HL-S6187W / Tosh HD-XA2 / PS3 / Oppo 970HD