Very good, Peter, and you're certainly to be commended for your modesty in claimimg that you had to google to learn the effective capacitance of capacitors configured in series. Yes, it is an interesting point, and I read both the latest Audioholics test and the earlier one(which I'd never studied)to see what the numbers were. Incidentally, I agree that Gene's gratuitous comment about users who had experienced problems was a bit disappointing. It may be that the Emotiva folks didn't give him all the facts.

Back to the capacitance numbers, as Gene pointed out in his earlier test, claiming the total capacitance per channel without clearly indicating that they were in series(for the valid technical reason of increasing the voltage capability beyond what the individual capacitors could handle)was misleading. It should be noted that Emotiva is far from being the only manufacturer playing the capacitance hype game. There appear to be both abuses by merely referring to the total of the individual caps and by implying(or stating outright)that more capacitance than necessary brings some mysterious benefits. The rule of thumb that can be applied is that 50uF per watt is ample and much more than that simply wastes money and takes up space. From that standpoint the Emotiva capacitance is fine and isn't the cause of their problems. Again of course, the effective capacitance should be stated, rather than the misleading total number which apparently is used to impress the innocent.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.