I’m assuming you’re a game player seeing how you have both 360 and PS3?

Resistance, Fall of Man for the PS3 is supposedly a discrete 7.1 channel game. This game would appear to be the staple test game for these new HDMI receivers at AVS.

I bought the game just for testing and have to admit it’s pretty cool. I’ve tried playing it a few times and quickly get dispatched by monsters in the opening battle, but my 13 year old gaming Jedi master son gives this game his ‘expert’ coolness approval. It is pretty cool watching the little fart kill monsters on an eight foot 1080P screen at about 90 db’s.

…..but anyway, my receiver will not do a dam thing audio wise with this game but play it in 5.1 M-Channel PCM. It will not even matrix the game to 7.1. I’ve heard that if the receiver processes this correctly, the display will show 7.1 M-channel PCM.

Two other good ‘test’ dvd’s are Decent and Crank on Blue Ray. They are both discrete L-PCM 6.1.

The only down side to Lossless sound is standard dvd’s sound like crap now. Between the sound and video, I’m a hopeless HD addict.