Crank doesn’t have a PCM option?? Are you sure? I rented this one from Net Flicks so I don’t have it on hand but I distinctly remember is having this option cause I was experimenting with this disk. Some of these dam BR disks have weird navigation menus. I have the Prestige and you have to push the stupid select button to get it to advance to each choice. I thought the disk was bad and watched it in regular DTS. Then I had to watch it again after I figured out the menu and got the PCM track to play. (not a bad movie, but not all that great either)

Remember, all these BR’s with the Uncompressed tracks will not show up as DD or DST. The PS3 is doing the decoding and sending the receiver an unpacked PCM data stream. The display will show what the stream is (5.1, 6.1 7.1). When you select a DD, THX or DTS option, all the receiver is doing, is applying a post process matrix that you select.

I have my PS3 audio set up in Manual with every box checked and audio out as PCM. Then when I watch a movie that only has DTS or DD audio (and no PCM option), I go into the PS3 and change the output to auto. Some of the older disks don’t have PCM, like First Blood or The Searchers.

And if you ever want to know what the PS3 is sending your receiver, hit the square button and at the top of the screen you’ll see the info. – in case you didn’t know….

I’m pretty stoked for you Michael. The Lossless audio on these HD/BR disks is like going from WMA to SACD. You’re really going to enjoy the heck out of your system now.