I bought my Panasonic 700 in Jan. 2005 (just before the "Big Game"...don't want to get sued by the NFL) and was in awe especially of broadcast HD (still free off the air) and the Dish HD broadcasts. I have used it more as a TV set than a theatre experience. (btw...LOTR and other DVDs look stunning in their own right)

Some things to think about...

You pretty much need to dedicate a decent size space in relative darkness to view a projected image of any definition type. If you are used to a 720p or 1080p LCD, Plasma, or other type of image, you may not be as impressed as I was going from a 480i 32" tube.

There are issues with projector bulbs. Mine went at around 1000 hrs. However, thanks to Evan at Projector Central I was able to contact the correct person at Panasonic and received a replacement bulb (had to wait for service stock from Japan about a month) at no cost. That bulb is going on 2600 hrs.

But......

I did some things differently with the new bulb.

1) lamp power is set to low
2) fan speed is set to high
3) I added a fan to blow on the projector...one of those miniture steel fans that move a good amount of air

I know people are concerned with fan noise, but even with the extra fan, at normal listening levels I do not notice the fan noise. And, I have got to believe dissipating the heat is a good way to help bulb life.

As far as 1080p vs. 720p, I am totally happy with a 720p image.

The images do vary...GIGO.

My problem now is, with the newer projectors coming down in price (and, will go even lower when the new models come out in the fall), do I spend $350 on a new bulb when it goes, or $1500 (or less) on last years model and get improved specs?

I think I need to find some side jobs soon.

If I were truly plastered, could I do this?