Quote:

Now my wife had an interesting thing to say when I mentioned I think I want to send the M60's back. She brought up a very good point, the M80s would still make bad CDs sound very bad and that I have noted the bad ones are not as harsh/poor sounding on the M60s. She said I might want to keep the M22/M60 combo and run them as A/B as I have now and when I listen to any bad CDs, simply turn off the M22s and listen with the M60s. Have I ever mentioned I REALLY love my wife, she is one smart lady.

Now that is thinking outside the box. What a great idea!I'm kinda jealous now . Wait, maybe I can just remove one of the mids and tweeters on my 80s and trade them in for 22s. Wouldn't that work ?

You peaked my curiosity and I just had to find out for myself what SPLs we were hitting. It wasn't that bad actually. 111 dBC peaks with an average of about 105 during the explosions. I bet if I had my stairway closed off I'd be hitting close to 120.

Your observation on the crispness of the 80s is bang on and I've always thought that it was related to my room brightness. But just recently, I've discovered that the grills really do make a sonic difference. With the grills removed, the highs are a little too crisp for my liking. And depending on the instrument, they can sound shrill too (eg. flute). I should have left the grills on as that's how I listen to my system.

Next time we need Robb and a few others to participate as well. Who knows what we'll end up creating? Maybe I'll put all of you to work on a new avatar ?