Ok JohnK and Mojo, I tried the M82 with the straps off the M60 and running only the 6 1/2s. The sound was extremely neutral. Vocals were not forward except on a few cds I tried. Some of my poorer cds the vocals were still a little behind/under the music, suggesting the cd mix is the culprit and that the speaker is very neutral.

I tried just one M82 strapless to see if I could hear a difference between them and it was hard to distinguish between the 2 as they blended quite well from my seated position. If I moved in front of each speaker I could hear the strapless losing out to the strapped M60 which gave a more forward vocal/mid sound, which it should with 1 extra mid and tweeter. I could hear vocals coming through on the destrapped M60 which I will guess is why the full M60 sounds smoother, yet recessed compared to the M22. The fact the M60 only has 1 mid and not 2 adds to the effect as well.

The soundstage was not a problem, only slightly more narrow and it was a little higher with just the M22s and M60s (strapless), but it should have been, the M22s were sitting on top of the M60s.

As I prefer the forward sound I liked the fully strapped configuration better.

Next up M22 vs VP150/100 as centers.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70