I did a little center channel experimentation this afternoon. Keep in mind that I'm not as proficient with critical listening skills as some of you seem to be. I used Pirates of the Caribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl. I selected a couple of different scenes, focusing on dialog. I should mention that my center channel is +2dB (personal preference due to years of abuse of my ears). I kept the volume down a bit so I wouldn't have to ask Mojo to buy me a new receiver.

1. VP100 - good basic center channel. I never had any issues with this speaker until I tried some of the other configurations. I don't have a VP150, but I suspect it would be an improvement over the VP100. For all tests, this speaker was directly above the TV and aimed slightly down at the listening area.

2. Vertical M22s - Notwithstanding what Mojo and Jakewash decided, I found this to be a big improvement over the VP100. The sound was much fuller and richer, and seemed to fill the screen. I didn't notice any significant degradation as I moved away from the sweet spot. I tried the speakers pointing straight ahead and then toed in slightly. Toeing in made a small but noticable improvement at the sweet spot.

3. VPM122 (Vertical M22s + VP100) - WOW! Adding the VP100 made a huge difference in the depth and clarity. The screen seemed to be enveloped in sound. All of the individual speakers completely disappeared. This was my favorite configuration by far.

4. M44 (TWWWWT) - I found this arrangement to be distracting, partly due to the look of it, but the location of the speakers was much more evident than with the VPM122. It was better than the VP100 alone, but sounded a little harsh and punchy. Separating the speakers was more pleasing than with them pushed together. Could it be because they were aimed slightly up rather than directly at the listening area?

5. VPM144 - Adding the VP100 helped considerably, but I still found myself focusing on the equipment rather than the sound (to quote a resident expert). Compared to the VPM122, I was underwhelmed by this arrangement.

I'll stick to the vertical M22s just because it's much easier for me to make the weekend changeover. I also have to try the VPM122 cranked up a little more when I get braver.

I started out with nothing & I've still got most of it left
M60 VP160 QS8 EP350
M22 VP100
Algonquins