I never read the Wheel of Time series. For some reason, I kept mentally associating it with Conan the Barbarian style writing. (Hey, I read many a Conan tale in my teen years but just wasn't looking for more of the same.) This was unfair as it comes from mistaking Robert Jordan's name with Robert Howard. I guess, I now have a lot of books to buy. Might be a library project so I don't go bankrupt on books.

I was glad to see you mention Guy Gavriel Kay's trilogy "The Fionavar Tapestry", Amie. I have read a lot of fantasy and this was my favorite series ever. To think, I almost closed the first book after a few chapters because I personally dislike any fantasy that includes modern themes. I'm glad I kept going though. Once you get into it, present day becomes totally forgotten.

For something way off the norm of high fantasy, my most recent favorite was "Druids" by Morgan Llywellyn . A mostly historically accurate guess at what the culture of the Ancient Gaul society was like just prior to it being conquered by the Romans. A young druid grows up to become the mystical leader of his society and and eventually goes to war against Caesar.

Accidentally came across the sequal which I didn't even know existed called "A Greener Shore" where a handful of Gauls escape Caesars rule by sailing to what can only be assumed is Greenland. Not done yet, but definitely another favorite already.

If you like these, She did a similar novel based around Celtic Society called Bard
Also very good although strikingly similar in nature. A young Bard (a cast of the Druidic society) grows up to a position of power and tried to lead his people to a better life.

Llywellyn has a very vivid writing style that you would probably enjoy even if you don't normally find 'semi-historical backgrounds' appealing.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.