Thans John. I've really learned a lot from this post. Actually, you seem to have spent a lot of time to really figure this sub stuff out.

The reason for my Aha! and for posting the subsequent question is that Jason and I had very different impressions of the EP400. He felt it was smoother and less punchy/powerful than the 400. I gave up on it after listening to some music because it seemed too powerful. I could feel it pushing on my ears and interpreted this as pushing too much air or too much punch.

Nothing I had read about sealed vs ported subs or others impressions of the 350v3 vs 400 matched with what I felt.

The room I mentioned is Axiom's listening room. The HT is set up against one of the narrow end walls facing out at the longest dimension. The sus were placed up front, just off center (just inside the M60 and M80).

If I was listening to the 400 with the trim control on vs others listening with it set to off would explain my very different experience.

FWIW, my ears hurt with the 400 at its lowest volume setting, yet the 350v3 sounded just fine at about 1/2 volume.

Very interesting... (but not shtupit!)

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!