So here's the deal with Buckcherry's Next to You on my systems.

On my audiobytes and Sony sub through my laptop: definite, pleasing, unbloated thump right in the centre image with EQ off. I can essentially point ot the thump's image. I can accentuate this by bumping up my 31Hz or 62Hz setting in WMP (but not both concurrently because it sounds too bloated). It sounds great when I boost the 62Hz setting to max \:\) .

On my main system: no thump at all at my normal sub volume. When I increase the Denon's LFE volume, I hear the bass but it's at a lower frequency that through the above system. Rather than a thump at a precisely-located centre image, I get deep, transparent bass all around the room with a wide bass image up front. From my live listening experience, this is what the bass is supposed to sound like but again, this is not what I prefer.

Now if I turn the LFE up even further and set my Denon's cut-off to 40Hz (from the normal 60Hz), I hear a nicely defined thump at the centre image along with some of that other transparent bass that I talked about earlier. I prefer the 40Hz setting on this piece. I have my 600's cross-over set to 60Hz normally.

FYI, I have waffled between 40Hz and 60Hz cross-overs for music. I've stuck with 60Hz but sometimes (as in this case), 40Hz sounds better.

By the way, this whole album is highly compressed. Good tunes though \:\) .

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated