Bernard, good to hear from you again. What started this thread was a salesman's contention was that 1080i was about equivalent to 520(?)P, which is clearly wrong and not a matter of mere opinion. Apparently the notion was that since 1080i is transmitted in two sets of sequential frames you're only actually seeing about half of the 1080 resolution, but this isn't the way things work. Basic video principles are that 1080 resolution is higher than 720 resolution; the bandwidth required to transmit P is higher than i at a given resolution, which is why we presently don't have 1080P transmissions and may never have them. The advantage of P over i in handling fast motion(e.g., some sports)has been brought up, but this a separate matter from resolution. There are several tables and graphs of suggested resolution/screen size/viewing distance combinations(e.g., the Sound&Vision graph ), which of course combine 1080i and 1080P for evaluating resolution, since the resolution is the same and superior to 720(P).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.