Originally Posted By: terzaghi
firmware upgrades are free, feature upgrades are not (allthough I would like it if they were) The xbox 360 and PS3 cost a fraction of the cost of the 3808 and they often have feature upgrades at no cost. I guess you can't really compare gaming consoles to receivers but it would be nice if the upgrades for the 3808 were free.
Just wondering what feature upgrades(totally new features not already on the systems) have come across the consoles? And it would seem to me that any new feature on a console is put on it to help game sales which is where the true profit is for the manufacturers. I do not follow PS3 and Xbox, as I only have the Wii and it really doesn't have new features just some new channels, in which some you pay for, some you don't.

I agree it would be nice if this upgrade was free(free is always nice) but the 3808 works great with out the new features, so it still comes down to you don't have to get them if you don't want to pay. From a Denon stand point they do not have new game sales or anything else to help drive up profit except the avr itself, so to me the $100 is justified, $50 would be better or let us pick which ones we want as I think most are just interested in the Dynamic EQ and volume EQ.

Let's look at it this way, how many of you out there are willing to design and provide a certain product and then not get paid for it? I know I like to get paid.

Like I said they could have easily released the new fetures on a new model, 3809, and left the rest of us hanging, instead they have allowed us the ability through the network connectivity (instead of taking in to a service center as in the past)to get this upgrade with out the need to spend $1000+ on another avr.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70