Quote:
Alan indicated to me that the M80 will do a superb job for all but the most demanding lower frequencies

Absolutely! I was quite surprised that I could not hear the difference between the M80s with and without a sub on a number of discs.

What I found when switching directly between the M22+sub and the M80 on its own is that the low end opened up with the M22+sub and the upper end opened up with the M80. By opening up, I mean that the music took on a more life like quality such that you felt you were listening to the band not a recording. The M80s did deliver more detail on the top end. Perhaps this is what 'opens up' the top end.

If you put the above two observations together I would say the differences between the two are quite subtle and not easily heard unless you do a direct comparison.

For movies, and if you listen to any music with an appreciable amount of low bass from pipe organ, you will notice a difference between having a sub and not, even with the M80.

If you watch any movies, you will benefit from both the sub and surrounds. I set out to create a music first system, and I did, but was amazed by the impact that a good system has on movies. I am actually watching more movies than I thought I would because of this.

So, different? Yes, but subtle. Worth it? Thats hard to say. I do not regret what I spent, but, like Dean/grunt I could probably be happy with the M22 as well.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!