+1 for Jay's suggestions.

My suggestion would be to order a pair of M22's and try them out without a sub. You might be completely satisfied with their bass response in your small & bass-sensitive room. I know I am with my M22's. You can always order a sub later.

Having not heard *any* Axiom subs ( ) , my only experience is through that of others here. The EP500 is, by all accounts, an amazing sub. You can't go wrong with it. But I suspect that an EP500 is going to be overkill for that size of a room. Sure, it has a gain knob and you can always turn down the output to match the room. But other smaller, less-expensive subs might be a better match. If you've got the dough though, by all means, get an EP500.

I'd think that the EP400 is a perfect choice for your situation. I distinctly remember it being billed as 'the bedroom sub'. If that's still too pricey, I can't help but think that the subs you should be looking at are the EP125 or EP175, as those are the ones designed for smaller rooms.

If neither of those float your boat, you could take a look at HSU Research's subs, specifically the STF-1,STF-2, or VTF-1. I would assume that either of those would be equally great choices for your small room.

Good luck!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office