I own M22's, M80's, and I have a pretty decent sub. I've experimented with all of them, together and separately.

Personally, if money is an issue, I'd prefer M22's w/ Sub to M80's on their own. From that, I can only assume that my preference would hold with an M60 comparison as well (never having heard M60's). M22's are darn-good speakers. With a really good sub, at normal listening levels, they're every bit as good as M80's. But the bigger your room is and/or the louder you like your music, the more you're going to need the extra drivers of the M60's or M80's. M22's can't touch the floor standers at 'reference' levels. M22's will play loud, but they lose something where M80's (and M60's) remain more composed and musical (IMHO).

I listen to a lot of classical too. Some classical has more bass than others, but I find that my M80's just can't produce enough bass on their own to satisfy me. The best example I can think of is a YoYo Ma cello solo. It sounds much better when my system is in M80+Sub mode vs just M80's on their own. The difference isn't subtle. That's M80+Sub, 40hz (or 60hz, I switch back and forth sometimes) crossover vs. M80's w/ no crossover (large). With the sub, his cello sounds much more life-like. Undertones are richer, there's more 'texture' to the way the bow sounds, and there's just a more 'organic' and grounded feel to the music. It's hard to explain in words, but it's clearly there. Basically, it just sounds more like a live cello solo when the sub is helping out.

And unless it's a small room, M22's definitely need a sub to sound their best.

I'm surprised you can't find anyone in LA for a demo. I'd shoot an email to Axiom and see if they have any suggestions.

Good luck!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office