I was used to having monopole surrounds at about 45 degrees behind me. When I upgraded to the QS8s and placed them directly to the sides (with the intent of adding a second pair in the rear at a later time) I noticed a change in the placement of sounds. When a sound was mixed into either the left or right surround it still sounded very natural. But when a sound was mixed equally into both speakers the sound seemed to come from above my head instead of behind me as I was used to hearing. This is with the QS8s mounted 3' above my seated position as recommended (which also gives 3' to the ceiling). Since then I've re-added my old surrounds to the 6th and 7th channels, and placed them on the rear wall of the room (spread apart to the width of the arms of my couch). I've set my receiver to always have the surround back steering logic enabled. This returns the sounds to behind me when equally mixed; even with the monopoles for the back, the QS8s lend a more enveloping sound field than anything I have ever experienced before.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris